Programming Clip

A place to review products you've used so other can gain from your experience.
parkview
Guru Maker

Programming Clip

Post by parkview » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:44 pm

On most of my PCB's that I create, if it's going to be a end user programmed, I might place a USB UART, like a CP2102 on there, but as a backup, I will place a 3 pin [Rx-Tx-GND] 1.27mm pin-header onto the board, along with two 0402 0 ohm jumpers, so I can quickly isolate the CP2102 UART from the ESP32 MCU serial pins:
1.27mm-connector_sml.jpg
1.27mm-connector_sml.jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
Sometimes I might be the only one thats going to use the board, so I might just go with the small 1.27mm connector and save the board space and cost of the UART. It's a pain though to have a small 1.27mm female connector on the board. They are a bit fragile due to it's small size. I made up a small corresponding 1.27mm male 3-pin connector to program the board using an external USB serial cable. I have purchased some 0.5mm wide pogo pins so as to make up my own programming jig and have searched Aliexpress looking for a pre-made tool, but I was using the wrong search term.

I had another search a few weeks ago, and BINGO - I hit the mother load with 'Programming Clip':
serial-programming_sml.jpg
serial-programming_sml.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
There isn't much space when between the pins! It only took 13 days to arrive. Yay, no more soldering on a 1.27mm female pin-header connector.
Attachments
serial-programming-port.jpg
serial-programming-port.jpg (47.39 KiB) Viewed 7251 times

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: Programming Clip

Post by parkview » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:43 pm

You can also purchase a hand held serial programming tool via Aliexpress. Note the Blue USB UART board is sold separately.
serial-programmer.jpg
serial-programmer.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
You can buy them with 3, 4 or more pins. I like to use a 3 pin (Rx, Tx, GND) as I can supply power via other means.
programmer-demo.jpg
programmer-demo.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
An action shot :)