3D Vision

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
shanevi
Mini-Maker

3D Vision

Post by shanevi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:24 pm

A parallel project I'm working on whilst waiting on additional parts for my Z80 Computer is 3D Vision. When sorting through my parts (which I hadn't done for over 18 months) I came across a few CCD Camera modules (OV7670) parts.
Idea for Stereo Vision for Quadcopter, Bot or others. Already had freely availble VHDL code to interface on a Spartan, modified to used Altera Device and only additional module needed to add was a Dual Bus Frame Buffer RAM megafunction.
The first block diagram of what should be happening in almost final revision is below.
3D Stereo Camera and FPGA.jpg
3D Stereo Camera and FPGA.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 4390 times

Currently I have only 1x CCD Camera input programmed, CCD Preprocessor, Frame Buffer and VGA monitor output on the FPGA.
The current diagram for the preprocessor, Frame Buffer and VGA output are diagrammed in an RTL.
As you can see, the Capture block decodes the CCD input and places it into the frame buffer. On a seperate unit (the VGA module) it reads the contents of this Frame Buffer memory as needed and outputs to VGA display in a RGB (3/3/2)
RTL.jpg
RTL.jpg (95.4 KiB) Viewed 4390 times

The biggest hurdle I thought would be the Central unit which combines the images to process into a depth map. Originally thinking to use Alteras NIOSII CPU but a coincidental find changed my mind for hard logic. Whilst watching a Maker Faire NY 2013 video on FPGA vision in the background came across this guy in France who has already developed quite a few filters and routines for Computer vision on an FPGA.
https://github.com/jpiat?tab=repositories
Will download and look into over the next few days. First to get the CCD hooked to the FPGA board to test the actual first channel :)

seaton
Master Maker

Re: 3D Vision

Post by seaton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:28 am

Nice project, I've always had an interest in computer vision.

Oh I wish I had more project time sigh.....

Are you coming to the open day this saturday? This would be a great display

shanevi
Mini-Maker

Post by shanevi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Sadly no :( I'll be in Perth until the Monday

It would however give more opportunity to finish both these projects for next month, or at least get more done for everyone to enjoy FPGAs as much as I do :D

seaton
Master Maker

Post by seaton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:27 pm

shanevi wrote:Sadly no :( I'll be in Perth until the Monday

It would however give more opportunity to finish both these projects for next month, or at least get more done for everyone to enjoy FPGAs as much as I do :D

Excellent