USB Power Breakout PCB

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
parkview
Guru Maker

USB Power Breakout PCB

Post by parkview » Sat May 13, 2023 4:59 pm

The other day I wanted to do a quick breadboard circuit test and I needed to get 5V and 3.3V onto the circuit. I have a nice RPi based Hat that could be used to inject power to the breadboard, but it's a monster and I thought all I need is a simple small PCB. So I spent a few hours to make my own one up:
USB-Power-Breakout.png
USB-Power-Breakout.png (104.57 KiB) Viewed 6200 times
These should supply 2A 5V, with 700mA 3.3V via a USB-C connector. There is a red LED across the polyfuse, with the idea that it should light up when the fuse activates - kind of giving a warning. It's two side and small, so it would be easy and cheap to make into a panel for cheaper production cost. Another thought would be to add a USB Micro connector onto it as well - just to give connection options. Although it would make it sizably larger.

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: USB Power Breakout PCB

Post by parkview » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:03 pm

JLCPCB where kind and sent me six of these small PCB's. It didn't take long to assemble two of them and they all work fine. I think if I did another version, I would place the GND pin in the middle, so the pin out would be: 5V - GND - 3.3V That way I could just solder two pins if I only needed one set of voltages and it would then plug into a breadboard power rail.

I think the board came out well though:
USB_power_Supply_v1.0-working.jpg
USB_power_Supply_v1.0-working.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 6034 times