ePaper Breakout Board

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
parkview
Guru Maker

ePaper Breakout Board

Post by parkview » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:12 pm

I have been playing around with ePaper displays for a while now. These are usually dedicated PCB's that I have built for different functions, but I don't have a plain breakout board. One where I can just connect up a ePaper and then connect the breakout to any embedded controller that I like.

So, here is my go at a generic ePaper Breakout Board:
ePaper-Breakout-Board_sml.jpg
ePaper-Breakout-Board_sml.jpg (87.17 KiB) Viewed 10353 times

Along the top section is a USB 5V power in, along with a 3.3V LDO and if I cut JP1 I could use J3 to measure the current being used by the circuit. The rest of the board is the ePaper circuitry. I have left lots of space so as to make it easy to swap components in and out for testing purposes. For example, I have seen different designs use either a: 10uH, 47uH or 68uH inductor. What and how does this effect the ePaper? Which one is best? There are a few testpoints scattered around for simple measurements as well.

U1 near top central, is a small dual MOSFET to allow me to switch power to the ePaper circuit on or off via the ePower input pin.

Here it is coupled up with the ePaper Test Board and a ESP32 Wroom Dev board:
ePaper-demo.jpg
ePaper-demo.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 10353 times
It was a fun little PCB that I spun out in less than a day. You can find the PCB design files and some ESP32 test code here: https://gitlab.com/parkview/ePaper_Breakout