DogeMahal

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
TimH

DogeMahal

Post by TimH » Sun May 02, 2021 2:03 pm

Thought I'd share a quick couple of photos of the dog house I recently finished for my troublesome puppies.
01 Wall Frames.jpg
01 Wall Frames.jpg (730.57 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
The floor is made from reclaimed Jarrah for the frame and pallet timber for the decking, the wall studs, roof beams, ceiling joists and truss chords are also reclaimed jarrah
02 Roof Trusses.jpg
02 Roof Trusses.jpg (725.06 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
I've insulated the plywood walls with 25mm foilboard with a 10mm foam thermal break each side to form a reflective air gap both sides.
The ceiling is insulated with R2.0 fibreglass batts to hopefully reduce noise through the metal roof.
03 Wall Ins.jpg
03 Wall Ins.jpg (621.93 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Then I've added a silversark builders wrap as a weather resistive barrier with low emmittanceto the walls and roof to keep moisture out and reduce radiant heat transmission downwards.
04 WRB.jpg
04 WRB.jpg (501.65 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
I've clad the walls and roof with left over steel sheets from a small garden/chook shed we demolished last year, I've spaced the sheeting off the WRB with thermal break foam to allow a cavity for any water ingress to escape through.
05 Walls Clad.jpg
05 Walls Clad.jpg (412.19 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
The roof battens are cut down from pine shorts with a thermal break foam over, and then the roof was probably the easiest bit to add the sheeting to.
Though there were a few holes in the ridge cap that needed to be creatively plugged up :-)
06 Roof Sheeting.jpg
06 Roof Sheeting.jpg (484.08 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
I used the left over ridge cap material for the window flashings as the aluminium flashing looked horrible, bending the seam was trickier than I remembered without a press or magnabend.
The windows are layered to achieve a kind of "double glazing" which should reduce radiant heat gain during summer - the windows were reclaimed from a renovation in Nedlands years ago and this is the first project I've been able to use them on - I still have 6 or so :-/
07 Finished.jpg
07 Finished.jpg (409.53 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Moving the new house on the Anzac Day public holiday was a mission as it's far to heavy to lift with just two people.
we rigged up a dolly with some wall studs to pick up the weight and used boards to move it smoothly over the grass.
...I hadn't measured the gate so it just scraped through with a couple of mm to spare :-)
08 Proud Pups.jpg
08 Proud Pups.jpg (671.97 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
We're all pretty happy with how it turned out :-)

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: DogeMahal

Post by parkview » Sun May 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Now, that's a Dog Kennel! I love the last photo with the residents on the porch ;-)