Media Player

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
parkview
Guru Maker

Media Player

Post by parkview » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:22 am

I have been meaning to build a media player for a year or so. I even picked up a MPG license for a RPi model 2. This weekend was the weekend that it all came together!

I had a quick look at OpenElec and Kodi, and decided to go with Kodi, only because it seemed to be a newer release: https://kodi.tv/download/

There is also a corresponding handy remote control App for iPhone (Kodi) and Android devices.

Get your RPi MPG License here: http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/software/products/mpeg-2-license-key

Once I downloaded the RPi image file and burnt it to a 8GB SD card, I then explored the System settings and added in the above MPG license key.

I was very impressed that it had a built in modules that go out to the internet and collect metadata and DVD covers of the TV Shows and Movies. You can then find a movie by folder or classification etc.

Yes, you can purchase or download various cases for the RPi 3, but last night I sat down and for a bit of fun, designed up a mechanical layout of the RPi Ver 3 board:
RPi V3 board.1.jpg
RPi V3 board.1.jpg (57.45 KiB) Viewed 6816 times

and then a suitable 3D printed case, with Ninjaflex feet and a laser cut lid to contain the RPi media player:
RPi V3 Case.1.jpg
RPi V3 Case.1.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 6816 times

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: Media Player

Post by parkview » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Well, that all looks good in theory. Here it is in real life:

The business end:
Media Player - Front.1.jpg
Media Player - Front.1.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 6815 times

Rear SD card access:
Media Player - Rear.jpg
Media Player - Rear.jpg (233.83 KiB) Viewed 6815 times

Ninjaflex feet:
Media Player - Ninjaflex Feet.jpg
Media Player - Ninjaflex Feet.jpg (198.51 KiB) Viewed 6815 times

The printer calibration was a bit out, but I had allowed a bit of extra tolerances just in case. The board fit in very snugly. The acrylic air vent holes could have been placed 10mm further along, so they where directly above both chips. It's printed in PLA, so it will be interesting to see how the inside temperature goes after showing a long movie.

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Nice! I made one a few years ago for the brother-in-law -> here, but it's not as neat as yours! I added an IR remote from a T-Box and didn't need the mpeg2 decoder... all of his videos are mp4/mkv and work fine ;)

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:31 pm

That was an easy IR assembly on your media player! I hate remote controls, one of the things I liked about Kodi (xbmc), was the iDevice App. The wife loves it too . Easy to find things to watch, pause, fast fwd/rvs etc.

Time to order another RPi V3. I have been charged with building a Mark II (Case: rounded corners, air grill moved), for the sewing room TV :D

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes I got the "rounded corners" thing to from the missus with this: thing. It seems to be a "thing" right now... Anyway good luck and can't wait to see how you go :)