Remote Weather Station

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
parkview
Guru Maker

Remote Weather Station

Post by parkview » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:16 pm

I still have to finish off the remote weather station, so more on that later.

In the mean time, I would love to be able to record lightning strikes. It would be great if a number of people in the SW had a mini weather station that also recorded them, as them you could triangulate the strikes and track the front moving though. Of course, you could do that by tracking multiple air pressure sensor too. last year (I think), there was a European designed lightning sensor board, but from memory it cost well over a $100. Tonight I found this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Lightning-Detector-for-Raspberry-Pi-WeatherPi-Weat/?ALLSTEPS With a bit of digging I found this: http://www.embeddedadventures.com/as3935_lightning_sensor_module_mod-1016.html AU$27 Nice one, all set for the RPi too!

I will pick up two of these, so I can mount one at home and one 23Km South of the home on the remote weather station. :D

BeJay
Maker

Re: Remote Weather Station

Post by BeJay » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 pm

The second link is a little like the one I made, used an AM radio IC MK484 and a tuned i/p coil as a trigger for my pi. It records 1 minute videos and discards them if lighting hasn't been detected ;) I posted it on facebook a while ago, but never got around to blogging it after my Hackaday of death server issue!

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: Remote Weather Station

Post by parkview » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:11 pm

Nice one on the video, I hadn't thought about including that. Talking of Hack-A-Day - I hope to meet up with some of the HAD crew in Shenzhen for dinner. They said they are going over for the Makers Faire. Should be interesting to hear their stories :)