Simplify3D review

parkview
Guru Maker

Simplify3D review

Post by parkview » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:13 pm

For all those interested in or wanting to know more about Simplify3D software, I stumbled across this review recently: http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2014/7/20/ ... simplify3d

Jubbp
Master Maker

Re: Simplify3D review

Post by Jubbp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm

I for one think it's worth $150. It is much easier to tinker with the settings on my prints.
It also looks nicer...

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 pm

It only slices right?

The latest version of slic3r seems pretty rock stable to me, I would love to see what this can do for the cost of 4 x rolls of filament that sli3r can't do? Just thinking out loud here from a maker / starter here... I shall try the demo and see what all the fuss is about ;)

Jubbp
Master Maker

Post by Jubbp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Bearing in mind I'm not 4 weeks into owning a printer...

The software that came with the printer was difficult to understand and adjust the slicing.

simplify was easier for me to understand and I've had much more success with my prints.

Maybe I missed all the good open source/free software but this one ticked all the boxes for someone with more money than time.

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 pm

BeJay wrote:It only slices right?

It does handle the printing for you too. You just have to load in the STL file, position it and click print. Well, it's nearly that easy ;-)

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 pm

I have this issue where I like to use open source software first, so I can really see what's going on. If I can't get it to work, then I will go for a closed source "point and click" thing. I do like the ability to hack it up a bit. Here is a good example of a useful hack to me:

Pronterface and Slic3r do everything I have needed so far.

As I've said I'm going to see what all the fuss is about and test out Simplify3D ;)

seaton
Master Maker

Post by seaton » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:13 pm

I've used all the open source slicers, sfact , slic3r, cura, material matters (closed source I think, but free)

also commercial ones

Kisslicer and now simplify

Slic3r is good and was my coice of the OS slicers, however I had issues with rafts and support removal, Also would crash on larger STL files, not to mention looong slicing times.

Cura not a bad runner up, but not really wrapped with the interface, same again on support and raft removal.

Kisslicer has been my goto slicer for the last 12 months, still not so great on support removal, is probably the best for multiple extruder printing though. (haven't tried slic3R since upgrading mine to dual extruders though) but when the developer of Kisslicer went awol for some time I needed to look else where, found Simplify and the first thing I tried was support and raft removal.....Much better than anything else I've used, except the UP printers, their software has nailed this removal to almost like velcro.

I do prefer how Kisslicer handles filament profiles over simplify, but simplify you can have multiple profiles assigned to an object or multi objects, i.e. I can change the temperature, slicing, fill, wall thickness, speed, on any number of layers mid print though these.

I do most of my printing now on simplify, sometimes reverting to Kisslicer for things and every now and then I'll give slicer a go to see how things are coming along.

I'm finding most of my prints now days are in ABS and the brim feature is great for stopping the warping always associated with printing ABS.

In all if you like and use your current slicer, stick with it, but the time you are having issues try simplify, you won't be disappointed and well worth the money.

Just for something a bit different I backed an indiegogo project some time ago called print to peer, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/printtopeer-your-3d-printer-on-the-web/x/4522351 or http://www.printtopeer.com, which is a RPi based controller and cloud based slicing, so will do a review once I play around with it some more.