The Future of Pi

Jubbp
Master Maker

The Future of Pi

Post by Jubbp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 am

This article came up in my feeds today http://goo.gl/xMQuxU

Here's a summary:

What's Next For Raspberry Pi, The $35 Computer Powering Hardware Innovation | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

"The compute module is going to be central to our plans going forward," Eben Upton, one of the founders of the Pi Foundation, said. The theory is that the new form factor will attract more hardware startups not to just prototype with Pi, but mass-produce products with Pi inside. With the compute module, a product can look as good as Otto, the first device built with the new Pi.

Is the Raspberry Pi moving away from it's core userbase and heading towards the business end of the market?

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: The Future of Pi

Post by parkview » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Yes, this is an interesting and exciting development. I can see many different boards coming out using this module.

Last Jan. at the Perth Linux Australasian conference, I met a Perth guy who was looking to use a RPi as his new cash register system. I pointed out that the RPI B wouldn't be around for ever, but seeing the new compute module, it might be worthwhile to have a go at something like that. He was looking to re-write his code in Python. Interesting guy and business model.

Nice to see the B+ come out and to hear that they will have a new model out in a few years time.

BeJay
Maker

Re: The Future of Pi

Post by BeJay » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:58 pm

I think the Pi platform just needs a standard. The Compute seems to fit it. Crack out a $5 break out board and you have the best of both worlds.