Science Spectacular

BeJay
Maker

Re: Science Spectacular

Post by BeJay » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Just to clarify, Does it start at 9 or 10?

The group email says 09:00 but this link says 10:00.

http://www.scienceweek.net.au/curtin-so ... ectacular/

I have had a rearrangement of plans, so I'm going to drive down on the morning.

Jubbp
Master Maker

Post by Jubbp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Bit of a botched printing job, printing another as I type. Will also be adjusting the logo to make it smaller and fit better within the frame.
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 51267 times

Jubbp
Master Maker

Post by Jubbp » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Just a heads up, I ruptured b\my achilies last night and won't be too mobile on Saturday.

6 Weeks in a cast is gonna suck :cry:

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Event Update:

Sorry to hear that Phillip. You should be able to easily sit and chat from the chair and table. We can help you cart gear on/out etc.

Sorry, I have been absent lately. My son had a bit of an emergency, so I have been up in Perth helping him out. I just got back last night.

I popped into the School today and checked out the room. There are 6 tables currently in the room and I have ordered two extra tables, a pin-up board and 6 chairs for the room. For people who haven't been before, here is the current layout:

Science faire classroom.jpg
Science faire classroom.jpg (47.15 KiB) Viewed 51258 times

It might be better (more display area), if we place four tables (two tables for each person) in a row on each side of the room. There will be floor power available to each side of the room. People will usually enter one door and exit via the other. In the photo, my back is to the inner door.

I have still to see the official plan of the faire layout, but I have been told I will get it tomorrow, so check your emails tomorrow night, as it will show where you can temp. park to off load gear. Our access time slot is at 08:30 at the back of the school which is close to the class and same as last year.

Just some general advice (learnt from last year), bring your own drinks and a lunch or something to eat. If it's as busy as last year, you might just have to grab a bite here and there. There is a toilet very close by. Bring a power board and a 3-5m extension cable. You will need them!

Scitech hand out some prizes and I was asked to come up with some questions that kids have to answer on their 'passport'. Not having much time of head space, I came up with: 1) how many 3D printers are there at the SW Makers display? 2) What is a Raspberry Pi? ( I gave them a choice answer of just a computer, or if they had space, a multi-choice answer).

Email me if you have any special questions, or ask them here if they are general in nature. Happy to take a phone call if needed, or your lost.

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:17 am

BeJay wrote:Just to clarify, Does it start at 9 or 10?

Sorry, my fault. It starts at 10:00 and runs till 16:00. We can start setting up at 08:30.

DylanM
Maker in Training

Post by DylanM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:58 am

Hi I'm willing to be there to help out. Still haven't got a USB hub for my pi yet thoug.
I know everything about nothing.

Jubbp
Master Maker

Post by Jubbp » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Heads up, SWMakers won't be at the science spectacular due to insurance problems....

hohummm

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 pm

I was just packing the car, and stopped to check my emails~!>!>!!

Nooooo!

Oh well I can finish my latest kid friendly project. Are you guys doing Robofair again this year?

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: Science Spectacular - NEWS FLASH!

Post by parkview » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi All,

unfortunately, the Insurance to cover that was being arranged for us was not suitable for the School Insurance Risk Officer and therefore we have been denied permission to display at the Science Faire.

This is a very disappointing turn of events and at such a late stage too.

My apologies to everyone involved.

-Paul

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:55 pm

BeJay wrote:Are you guys doing Robofair again this year?

I hope so. But once bitten twice shy? From memory they didn't seem that hung up on insurance. Yes, I would like to attend. I contacted last years organiser last month and it sounded like they where going to run it again in Nov. this year.

seaton
Master Maker

Post by seaton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:02 pm

BeJay wrote:I was just packing the car, and stopped to check my emails~!>!>!!

Nooooo!

Oh well I can finish my latest kid friendly project. Are you guys doing Robofair again this year?

I knowwww. I was so looking forward to this event.

roboFair...I'm in again :)

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm happy to contribute if we can get in!

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: Science Spectacular - 2015

Post by parkview » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:52 pm

The next SW Science Spectacular is being held this year on Saturday, the 22nd of August 2015. I have lodged an application form and called the new event manager to make the case for them to cover us for insurance. It all sounded positive, but time will tell. As a backup, I had the thought of seeing if we can be covered under SciTech. I will have a chat with Simon about this next week.

Polish off all the new projects and display gear and let me know if your interested in display and meeting and talking to thousands of people in an eight hour period :D Hopefully it will work out better this year!

BeJay
Maker

Post by BeJay » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Roger that... I should be able to make it with my stuff if you need it ;)

I'll check with SWMBO if we are up to anything...
Last edited by BeJay on Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:41 am

Love to have you along!

seaton
Master Maker

Post by seaton » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:30 pm

I'll be there

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Some early bad news. The School have changed their mind and are no longer going to run the usual day long event. Instead they are just going to run a night time paid event on Sat. the 22nd July from 17:00 to 21:00. This is being held at the Bunbury Regional Entertainment Centre (BREC). It will cost $25 per person to attend and see talks and demonstrations by Dr. Karl and three other scientists.

I have expressed my amazement then disappointment that the day event is now being dropped. The SW Makers have been selected/asked if we want to host one table out in the foyer. The idea is that we would help entertain the 800 odd guests before and after the show. We might not have 240V power at the table.

I think the table could comfortably host two people and projects at the table. Perhaps three people at a pinch. I have asked for a pin-up board as well, but she was uncertain if they could bring that in from the school. Time will tell on that one.

Can I have any interested people who are willing to display a STEM based project PM (top left of this page) me, or email me direct. If there is a flood of hands, a three of us will judge the entrants.

Bring on the November Curtin Robofair!

Jubbp
Master Maker

Post by Jubbp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:59 pm

I'll assume it's 22nd August not July, and according to my current roster I'll be free that night to attend as a member.

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Well, it's been a frustrating week of correspondence, but it's looking like once again that due the the type of insurance the event has, we won't be able to attend the BREC SW Science Spectacular event, well, not hosting a display table.

Moving on, the Robofair is next.

Jubbp
Master Maker

Post by Jubbp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 am

If you're on FB, the organisers of the Robofair have sent us an invite. Head over and join the event page.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthWestMakers

It's a pity insurance is always the problem.
Not sure what they thinks gonna happen. By the time we're showing anyone else, we're already had all the smoke and the flames during testing :lol: :lol: :oops: