Tablet Computers

A place to review products you've used so other can gain from your experience.
parkview
Guru Maker

Tablet Computers

Post by parkview » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:01 pm

I have donated my iPad 1to my mother-in-law and the new ones don't come out for a months yet. I just happened to stumble across a 7" Pendo Pad in the Bunbury Office Works for $69! I presumed at that price it wasn't going to be the fastest tablet on the block, but boy it was cheep.

It turns out, yes, it's slow, the battery doesn't last very long and it does lock up every now and then (is that a crappy App or the Pendo?), but it does the job. I found a reasonable SSH client, Samba client and a few other Apps to help me run my gear.

Runs Android Jellybean 4.2. 800x600 touch screen screen. Here is the back end of the box:

pendo_7.jpg
pendo_7.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 7702 times

A reasonable purchase for $69 if your desperate or just need something to tide you over for a while.

Jubbp
Master Maker

Re: Tablet Computers

Post by Jubbp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:41 pm

It's the old saying, you get what you pay for.

I have a DX extreeme tablet I purchased off the net for $89 and it is soooo slow.
Not a great advertisement for android.

I could;t tell you any of the details as it's setting on the US pile of equipment in the office. (I could't even use it as a book reader with the Kindle app)

Maybe one day I'll get back to it and maybe give it another life in one of my projects.

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

I don't mind the speed so much, but the battery management sucks big time. It won't even charge beyond 66%! The battery only lasts around 1-2 hours of run time! Thats what hurts the most with it. I can live with the rest of the faults.

I did find a nice free Android SSH client: 'JuiceSSH'. It as all the right keys, including the arrow keys. Very handy for checking on remote RPi experiments.

seaton
Master Maker

Post by seaton » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:03 pm

I bought a 2012 google nexus when they were going pretty cheap at JB, also got the price down with the sales dude although not as cheap as good ol DX. speed and battery is great and runs the multiwii and APM apps for my multicopter, perfect for out in the field.