60W eBay Laser Cutter

A place to review products you've used so other can gain from your experience.
parkview
Guru Maker

60W eBay Laser Cutter

Post by parkview » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Ok, the Laser arrived a bit over a week ago. The crate packaging was a bit dicey, so it arrived with one end of the crate flooring broken off:
shipping-damage.jpg
shipping-damage.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

It turns out that only the front stand(?) was bent, so I straightened it up and all is ok. I didn't take into account on how I was going to lift a 125Kg machine 30cm into the air, so I could remove the boxes of parts underneath the laser. Also, how do you get it off the packing crate box floor late at night without four other people around to help lift it off? I ended up spending 1.5 hours levering the unit up via bocks, then removing the boxes and the pallet, then levering it down block by block.

The managed to squirrel away a lot of parts around the cutter:
Shipped-Parts.jpg
Shipped-Parts.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

There are nice English labels on all switches and inside parts, however, when I powered it up, I found that the LCD menu was in Chinese! I am still working on a fix (or firmware upgrade) that with the eBay supplier but not holding out much hope:
chinese-LCD-menu.jpg
chinese-LCD-menu.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

It turns out though that I mainly print directly from the local computer, so I don't really need (at the moment), the LCD. The LCD does display the what's being printed, the layer power settings etc, so that's ok:
lcd-in-action.jpg
lcd-in-action.jpg (61.21 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

I spent the last weekend testing the cutter out on a lot of different materials: paper, 3mm cardboard, fabrics, a few metals, granite, glass, ceramics, a few plastics, plywood and 3mm and 6mm MDF.

For other people looking to purchase something similar, or benchmarking purposes, I found the 60W laser would cut:

3mm MDF at 10mm/sec at 70% power
6mm MDF: two runs of 10mm/sec @ 80%
80g/m3 paper,: 200mm/sec @ 20%
most fabrics: 100mm/sec at 30%
2mm glass: 50mm @ 15% - a light ablation, 100mm @ 30% gives a deeper ablation
3mm acrylic: 10mm @ 90% - clean cut

I was hoping that it could cut 6mm MDF in one pass. I did try cutting the 9mm crate plywood, but it struggles to get through the last layer. I have yet to try 9mm MDF.

Things I like about it:
  • the proper cutting bed material
  • the 500mm x 700mm cutting bed
  • it's on wheels
  • robust construction
  • only had to pick up distilled water and a 20L Bunnings container/bucket and it was all up and running
  • software is easy to use and seems to recognise my DFX drawings from the latest versions of Inkscape and Design Spark Mechanical.
  • while repairing the switch, I noticed that the controller has a RJ-45 port. I have yet to test this out.
  • comes with a software and hardware Chinglish set of manuals.

Things I don't like about it:

• the air suction fan is very noisy and vibrates around. This was mentioned by a 50W Aussie video reviewer, so no surprise there. It does pump out a lot of air! The fan motor gets too hot to touch if it's been on for an hour or more.
  • be nice if one could continuous feed material through the front/back slots, but the design is 20mm out. Maybe the laser head could be lowered?
  • the laser has a ~ 11mm focus path. If it was longer, it might cut deeper in one pass? Maybe a different lens might fix this?
  • The main switch failed in the 'on position' on the 4th day!! Luckily I could disassemble it and reset the internal arm. I ordered two more from AliExpress, just in case.
  • Chinese LCD menu (some English), not a show stopper yet.

Would I purchase it again?

Yes!

Is the tube really a 60W unit, or is it a remarked 40W tube? I have no idea, as I don't have anything to compare it against. Of course, I would love a 135W or a 150W laser to easily cut thicker wood, but for the moment, I can live with what I have. Maybe in another few years, the tube prices might come down some more? ;)

Cutting Bed:
cutting-bed.jpg
cutting-bed.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

Back of unit:
back of-unit.jpg
back of-unit.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

First light - the tube works! LH zap, whoops, I forgot to focus the beam. RH side, properly focused beam on Jarrah, with a 1/2W resister as a reference:
first-light.jpg
first-light.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

First test project - 80mm x 50mm with 3mm MDF:
first-project.jpg
first-project.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 7082 times

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: 60W eBay Laser Cutter

Post by parkview » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 pm

A helpful guy in another forum pointed me to a short video which explained how to toggle the LCD menu into English mode: http://www.thunderlaser.com/troubleshoo ... glish.html

english_lcd_menu.jpg
english_lcd_menu.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 7081 times

Nothing really interesting in there, but I have set an IP Address and connected up a network cable to it. Running NMAP doesn't show any ports open!, so that might be something to look into a bit down the road.

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: 60W eBay Laser Cutter

Post by parkview » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:19 pm

This is the eBay seller I purchased it from: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LASER-ENGRAVER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-60W-CO2-GLASS-TUBE-CUTTER-DSP-CONTROL-FANTASTIC-/331758556215?hash=item4d3e59d437 They do have a cheep 40W and 50W laser cutter as well.

There is a QR code on the front of the Laser cutter. Decoding this it says:

聊城市东昌府区科绘激光设备有限公司Liaocheng dongchangfu division with laser equipment co., LTD
ÍøÖ•£¨website):www.lcjbdz.com
ÓÊÏä(maiobox):lcjbdz@com
µç»°(TEL)400 0635 001
´«Õ棨FAX)£º0635-8220283

Website linked: http://www.lcjbdz.com/ and translation: https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.lcjbdz.com/&prev=search

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... MkOr9_73gw this kind of looks and specs read like my machine (60W) Having a quick look through their machine range, I think it tops out with a 120W unit [March 2016]