Gimbal Controller

A place to review products you've used so other can gain from your experience.
DylanM
Maker in Training

Gimbal Controller

Post by DylanM » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi,
Both gimbal controllers that i own at the moment don't seem to be working and the gyroscope is broken from the previous owner I believe. So my solution is to by a new controller and new gimbal. What I've settled on is this: http://www.olliw.eu/2013/storm32bgc/ and I was looking at ordering it from: http://www.dx.com/p/storm32-bgc-32-bit- ... fPtQVxJ9Hs.
My question is "Is dx.com a reliable in terms of shipping?"
I know everything about nothing.

parkview
Guru Maker

Re: Gimbal Controller

Post by parkview » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:06 am

I heavily use dx.com with great joy! I love the free shipping :) No more saving up a wishlist of gear to make one large purchase to beat the 'free shipping' minimum at other sites. Shipping can take up to 6 weeks - which is a bit of a pain. Gear purchased via the AU version of the dx.com website usually arrives faster, but usually you have to pay for freight.

One thing to be mindful, is that you won't receive ANY support on the products they sell. There is usually not much product info/specs available, so you have to know ahead of time how to use the product your purchasing. Have a close look at the product photos to see if the pins are labelled, or that you understand the silkscreening labels. The product will usually arrive with no datasheet.

Have fun.

DylanM
Maker in Training

Post by DylanM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:00 pm

what about aliexpress, is their free shipping any good and is DHl shipping any good?
Thanks
I know everything about nothing.

parkview
Guru Maker

Post by parkview » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:05 pm

I have purchased a few things from there. Stephen swears by AliExpress. You just have to watch the quantity that your purchasing.

DHL is usually VERY expensive, but fast! Depends on how desperate you are for the part, and is the cost worth it.

-Paul

seaton
Master Maker

Post by seaton » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:07 am

My "GoTo" place to order is AliExpress.com and is where basically DX gets its products from, AliExpress is just lots of store fronts so you're dealign with lots of suppliers. I found them very reliable and reputable, I had one product where it wasn't the same as photo, so they gave me refund and let me keep the product, other than that you can't beat it for price.

I still sometime order from DX but usually use DX to see what new products are out and then go looking on Ali for it. Tip, don't buy the first one you see, have a search as you will find the same product for cheaper else where, so shop around.

Delivery time is same as DX, a few weeks so always plan in advance and move onto your next project while you're waiting for your parts.

Stephen...