USB Power Controller

Tell us about your projects. Update us regularly.
parkview
Master Maker

USB Power Controller

Post by parkview » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 am

A string of LED fairy lights draw around 750mA. I haven't counted the number of LED's, but there is quite a few of them running in parallel. The ones we have don't do anything, they can be either off, or on, but they do look pretty. While you can buy controllers for them, I thought it might be fun to try and build my own controller for them. Ideally, they could be controlled via your mobile phone via the Blynk App.

Since I have been working on power monitoring, I thought I might as well throw some of that in as well. This is what KiCAD says the board will look like:
LED-String-USB-Controller-V1.0_PCB.jpg
LED-String-USB-Controller-V1.0_PCB.jpg (195.47 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Since I have a level conversion chip in stock, I threw in a RGB Neopixel output port as well. This board will allow me to control up to 3 strings of 5V powered LED's. It does include a i2s powered MEMS microphone, so hopefully I might be able to have the strings of LEDs interact with the surrounding sound. There is also a 6DOF IC (accelerometer/gyro) included on the board to sense changes in rotation etc. This version of the board will need to be programmed via the serial port.

parkview
Master Maker

Re: USB Power Controller

Post by parkview » Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 pm

The PCB arrived back from manufacturing. The INA193 current sensors still have arrived, but I have received a free sample from TI. The ESP32 controllers have arrived either, so I hot-plated one from another spare dev board I had lying around. There where only a few blobs of solder over a few of the finely spaced pins on some of the components. These didn't take long to clear up with a bit of solder wick.
LED USB Controller_sml.jpg
LED USB Controller_sml.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 302 times

The board worked straight up so it didn't take long to write up a simple Arduino program to cycling the different Ports and LEDs. You can see a video of it here: https://youtu.be/LcAgjnQS9Js

I already have a lot of ideas and features for the next version of this PCB :D